[linux-elitists] Open-sourcing a book

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 22 13:17:46 PST 2001

Oops.  To clear up a couple of things:

> (Notice that I snipped the usual "or at your option, any later
> version" clause.)

It didn't in the posted licence text (sorry!), but _did_ in the actual
documents.

> The objective is to protect the integrity of the text if and only if it
> purports to be _mine_.  (Both documents say "The most recent version of
> this essay can be found at [link]", eliminating the problem of outdated
> mirrors.)

In case it wasn't clear:  What I mean is that some types of writings,
such as essays, _partly_ are a dollop of information handed out to the
public but _also_ are a personal expression, speaking for you and
expressing your views.  You don't want people putting up copies, mutant
versions, or works derived from yours and still claiming its _your_
essay.  But you might be perfectly happy with them posting such works
_if_ all attribution to you has been stripped out.

rick@linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.