[linux-elitists] Open-sourcing a book

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 22 13:03:19 PST 2001

begin  kmself@ix.netcom.com quotation:

> I'd also check licensing of current HOWTOs.  I believe some are simply
> GPLd, despite the round hole/square peg fit of SW licenses to content.

Common misconception.

Michael Stutz, in "Applying Copyleft to Non-Software Information"
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonsoftware-copyleft.html), explains:

   The GNU GPL states that it "applies to any program or other work which
   contains a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be
   distributed under the terms of this General Public License," so this
   "Program," then, may not necessarily be a computer software program --
   any work of any nature that can be copyrighted can be copylefted with
   the GNU GPL.

   The GNU GPL references the "source code" of a work; this "source code"
   will mean different things for different kinds of information, but the
   definition of "source code" -- provided in the GNU GPL -- holds true in
   any case: "The source code for a work means the preferred form of the
   work for making modifications to it."

rick@linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.