[linux-elitists] Open-sourcing a book

Derek Vadala derek@cynicism.com
Thu Mar 22 11:32:24 PST 2001

As some of you might know I'm currently writing a book for O'Reilly called
Managing RAID on Linux. I'd like for the book to be resdistributable under
an open-source license. My main concern is that others could take relevant
portions of the material and include them in LDP How-To documents. The
Software-RAID How-To for example isn't maintained very well these days,
and the manual pages for the raidtools package could probabaly use an
update. I suspect that when I'm done, I'll volunteer some time to rewrite
a bunch of these documents, but if I'm unable to put in the time, I want
to make sure people can reuse my material for them.

My intent is to open-source the whole book, and O'Reilly (well at least my
editor) seems into the idea. My question is about what license would be
appropriate for this? Assuming the whole book goes open-source and with
the potential that only a few chapters might be open-source-- at the very
least I want to ensure that any chapter that discusses implementing
Software RAID under Linux is free for everyone to mess with.

---
Derek Vadala, derek@cynicism.com, http://www.cynicism.com/~derek