[linux-elitists] Patent Proposals

Evan Prodromou evan@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Mar 20 17:26:54 PST 2001

    H> No, but... I believe Raph Levien has some patents, and has
    H> stated clearly and in All The Usual Ways, that he is charging
    H> $0 and 0 cents licensing to anything under GPL, inperpetuity or
    H> something like that.  Full details at advogato, of
    H> course. http://www.advogato.org/article/89.html

Yeah, just to point out, that's on the http://www.openpatents.org/
site, and also on his site:

        http://www.levien.com/patents.html

I think it's cool that he has a patent on time reversal. I could
definitely use that technology.

    H> Now, if a few other geniuses with personal patents, and Certain
    H> Large Companies With Huge Patent Portfolios (*) who want to
    H> chip in,

    H> 	*) gosh, I wonder who that would be.  Actually if we could get
    H> 3 or more it would be nice.

    H> ...were to expand this to grant friendly licensing to anything
    H> DFSG compliant, and basically establish a large group so it
    H> gets some notice, we might have something tasty here.

Amen to that!

Hey, Don, I really think you should reference openpatents.org, and
expecially the Open Patents License (unfortunately named OPL, like the
more familiar Open Publication License):

        http://www.openpatents.org/license/versions/opl.php

~ESP