[linux-elitists] Patent Proposals

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Mar 20 14:04:24 PST 2001

> Mr . Bad writes:
>
> >         * Propose a new GNU-style license for patents, so that patents
> >           already in their portfolio can be licensed for free to all
> >           takers, with provisos about patenting derivative works
> >           and/or making patent attacks in the future -- kind of like a
> >           preemptive patent swap.
> >
> >           There are probably any number of lawyers or law professors
> >           who would be happy to create this kind of patent license.

Seth:
> I once suggested this to Richard Stallman, who noted that patents don't
> have the same "derived works" restrictions that copyrights do.
> Therefore, a copyleft-style license for patents would not be able to
> restrict future patents' licensing very effectively.

No, but... I believe Raph Levien has some patents, and has stated clearly
and in All The Usual Ways, that he is charging $0 and 0 cents licensing
to anything under GPL, inperpetuity or something like that.  Full details
at advogato, of course. http://www.advogato.org/article/89.html

Now, if a few other geniuses with personal patents, and Certain Large
Companies With Huge Patent Portfolios (*) who want to chip in,

	*) gosh, I wonder who that would be.  Actually if we could
	   get 3 or more it would be nice.

...were to expand this to grant friendly licensing to anything DFSG
compliant, and basically establish a large group so it gets some notice,
we might have something tasty here.

* Heather * Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have
	    done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony
	    of a decorous age.  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson