[linux-elitists] Re: Patent Proposals

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Mar 20 13:48:54 PST 2001

begin  Mr. Bad quotation of Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:35:29PM -0800:

> What about these possible other points?
>
>         * Propose a moratorium on new software patents by the
>           signatories.

Not likely to get much support because of the current need for defensive
patents.

>         * Propose a moratorium on new software patent lawsuits.

A committment to "No First Use" of software and business methods patents
would probably fly with at least some companies.

>           That would mean forming an organization to "bank" existing
>           software patents, and allow immediate cross-licensing for
>           all new members.

This screams antitrust.

>         * Propose a new GNU-style license for patents, so that patents
>           already in their portfolio can be licensed for free to all
>           takers, with provisos about patenting derivative works
>           and/or making patent attacks in the future -- kind of like a
>           preemptive patent swap.
>
>           There are probably any number of lawyers or law professors
>           who would be happy to create this kind of patent license.

Seth has been talking with this organization:
http://www.openpatents.org/  He knows more about its progress, supporters,
and general good-or-badness than me.

> It seems that there is a lot that big software patent holders can do
> to make changes in the private sector, in parallel with the Patent
> Office reform. Why not at least give them a chance to reject this
> stuff?

Sounds good.  I'll  incorporate this stuff into the end of the
document...how do you want to be cited?