[linux-elitists] [susette@blackwellsf.com: SEEKING LINUX USERS FOR DOCUMENTARY STYLE PHOTO SHOOT IN SF]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Mar 20 13:11:59 PST 2001

Any comments on the following patent reform suggestions? Working
version, with links, at http://zgp.org/~dmarti/patent-reform-draft/

I'm particularly interested in anything on the TRIPs treaty -- if it
requires signatories to allow patents on any damn thing, then the whole
patent mess could get a lot worse before it gets better.

The goal is to have a reasonable Patent Reform Document we can get a
bunch of Valley big cheeses to agree to, then set up a meeting with
Rep. Anna Eshoo.

           DRAFT Three-point Plan for Patent Reform

           Last modified: Monday, March 19th, 2001

           Comments to Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org

           This is a draft.

           1. Give USPTO the funding it needs to do its job.

           Not only does USPTO not receive any tax money, about 25%
           of the money collected in fees by USPTO is currently
           diverted to other US Federal Government programs. Because
           of the economic damage caused by invalid patents, this is
           no way to save money. USPTO's ability to conduct
           meaningful examinations is already compromised. Last
           year, USPTO Director Q. Todd Dickinson warned of an
           imminent "reduction in patent quality" resulting from yet
           another inadequate budget.

           The following quotations are taken from a letter to
           Howard Coble (R-NC) and Howard Berman (D-CA), Chairman
           and senior Democrat of the House Subcommittee on Courts
           and Intellectual Property dated January 9, 2000. Emphasis
           added.

               To be a viable organization in today's high
               technology economy, the USPTO needs to conduct much
               more of its business electronically. We are well on
               the way to doing so, most notably, with our
               successful electronic trademark filing system and the
               availability of our patent and trademark databases
               via the Internet. Under the proposed mark, we would
               have to make reductions in this area of $37 million,
               wihch will force us to eliminate all new planned
               automation projects and severely curtail many of our
               already successful systems.

               Specifically, we will be forced to significantly
               reduce or eliminate the planned electronic filing of
               patent examinations, on-line database searching (with
               a consequent reduction in patent quality), our
               award-winning patents and trademarks on the Internet
               program, our work-at home program, the electronic
               filing of assignments, and necessary upgrades or
               planned replacements to basic examiner computer
               equipment. We also would not be able to implement the
               replacement of our PTONet, which is the critical
               backbone of our information technology system,
               jeopardizing our entire operation.

               Our workforce here at the USPTO is among the most
               highly skilled and sought after in the New Economy,
               as well as the Federal Government. Cuts in areas such
               as overtime and training would serverly weaken our
               ability to recruit and retain the high caliber staff,
               which is essential to our work.

           Inadequate USPTO budgets benefit only one group of people
           -- those who get invalid patents. Everyone else suffers.
           Fund USPTO so that it can afford to attract and retain
           highly skilled examiners, as well as maintain a
           world-class library of international patents, journals,
           catalogs, and other information. A patent office without
           full funding is the economic equivalent of a fully loaded
           B-52 bomber with no maps, no compass, and an untrained
           navigator.

           2. Stop and reverse patentability creep

           Would the economy be better off if Bruce Springsteen were
           allowed to patent rhyming "back" and "Cadillac" -- and
           sue any other songwriter who did so, even if the new song
           was nothing like "Pink Cadillac?"

           Would the economy be better off if the Green Bay Packers
           were allowed to patent the best defense against a
           particular play, and sue any team that used that defense
           against them?

           Would the economy be better off if a high-priced defense
           lawyer were able to patent the use of a legal argument,
           and sue any other defense lawyer who used it on behalf of
           his client?

           Clearly, the answer to all three questions is no. We're
           all better off when we can hear new songs, watch good
           football games, and get a fair trial without getting
           several patent licenses a day. Unfortunately, several
           court decisions in the 1980s and 1990s have resulted in
           the patentabilty of mathematical algorithms and of
           business methods, which is for programmers just as
           ludicrous as the above three examples.

           Software and business methods patents are examples of
           "patentabilty creep" in action. Federal judges,
           legislating from the bench, are expanding the scope of
           patentable content to not only overwhelm USPTO, but also
           to do grievous economic harm.

           There is no natural right to a patent. Patents are an
           economic tool given to Congress by the US Constitution,
           and exist, in the words of Article I Section 8, "to
           promote the progress of science and useful arts."
           Software and business methods patents do not promote the
           progress of anything. In a recent study, economists James
           Bessen and Eric Maskin of MIT found that

               Through a sequence of court decisions, patent
               protection for computer programs was significantly
               strengthened. We will show that, far from unleashing
               a flurry of new innovative activity, these stronger
               property rights ushered in a period of stagnant, if
               not declining, R&D among those industries and firms
               that patented most.

           Thanks to the AMA and other concerned medical
           professionals, the US has already won a victory in the
           fight against patentabilty creep. In response to patents
           on surgical techniques, Congress in 1996 redefin ed
           patent infringement to exclude surgery and other medical
           treatment. As Richard M. Stallman has suggested, a
           similar measure to prevent infringement claims against
           programmers and users of software for general-purpose
           computers could achieve the benefits of software patent
           reform without forcing Congress to define a "software
           patent."

           (Q: Is there an interpretation of the Agreement on
           Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights
           (TRIPs), a WTO treaty, that would require signatories to
           allow patents on anything? This is counterintuitive but
           possible.)

           Whether or not you have been accused of infringing a
           software or business method patents, unchecked
           patentability creep will eventually hurt your ability to
           make a living. It's time to stop it now.

           3. Fix USPTO's incentive system to reward quality, not
           quantity

           The Department of Commerce should populate USPTO's
           advisory committee with members from outside the patent
           bar, with a view to helping USPTO work toward the
           economic health of the nation as a whole and not for any
           special interest group. Employee incentive programs
           within USPTO should be tied to patent quality, not
           quantity.

           In a New York Times article, James Gleick writes,

               Examiners know that their year-end bonuses depend on
               productivity. The people interacting regularly with
               patent officials and examiners -- their obvious
               clientele and customer base -- are inventors and
               inventor representatives.

               Each morning, as Commissioner Dickinson arrives at
               his Crystal City office, he walks past a framed
               poster bearing the motto:

                                Our Patent Mission
                         To Help Our Customers Get Patents

               It's virtually forgotten that the government's
               customers also include the rest of the nation, the
               citizenry at large, whose fortunes depend on the
               agency's judgments and policies.

           On March 29, 2000, USPTO became a "Performance-Based
           Organization" and began to pay many employees bonuses
           according to how well they achieve "specific measurable
           goals". There is nothing wrong with this in principle,
           but the criteria for incentivizing USPTO staff need to be
           keyed to the overall economic benefit USPTO can offer,
           not to the demands of patent attorneys.

           In 2000, the Secretary of Commerce chose the membership
           of the Patent Public Advisory Committee without including
           any of several advocates of patent reform who were
           nominated. In the next iteration of the committee, it
           would be beneficial to include a professor of law without
           financial ties to the patent system, perhaps Prof. Eben
           Moglen of Columbia or Prof. Lawrence Lessig of Stanford.

           Conclusion, Implementation and Supporters

           What now? Point 1 is a matter of appropriations, point 2
           requires other legislation, and point 3 requires action
           on the part of the executive branch. All three are
           important to ensure a healthy patent system for the
           future. Here in California, we will try to set up a
           meeting with Rep. Anna Eshoo to start the process of
           patent reform.

           Permissions

           The final version of this document will be freely
           distributable, in its entirety, with attribution.
           Contributors of content, links, or comments will be
           acknowledged.