[linux-elitists] [susette@blackwellsf.com: SEEKING LINUX USERS FOR DOCUMENTARY STYLE PHOTO SHOOT IN SF]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Mar 19 22:48:25 PST 2001

begin  Wil Cooley quotation of Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:39:03PM -0800:

> Thus spake Seth David Schoen:

> > Maybe John Gilmore will be there, who once said this:
> >
> > 	http://www.toad.com/freedom.speech.software
> >

> Maybe if he is, someone can clue him in on how SMTP servers work.

I knew this subject would come around to this list sooner or later.
Let's keep it in the same, already good-sized "IBM and Software Patents"
thread, to help me test my thread-per-page archive script, which now
deals with everyone's MIMEage except aaronl's.  (muttered curses)

$ telnet gnu.org 25
Trying 199.232.76.164...
Connected to fencepost.gnu.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 fencepost.gnu.org ready to lose at Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:29:41 -0500
MAIL From: dmarti@zgp.org
250 <dmarti@zgp.org> is syntactically correct
RCPT To: dmarti@zgp.org
550 relaying to <dmarti@zgp.org> prohibited by administrator
QUIT
221 fencepost.gnu.org closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

If Richard M. "no passwords" Stallman can see his way clear to running a
no-relaying SMTP server, then Gilmore can too.

Back to software patents, just to help the thread fork into a
helpful-for-testing-the-thread-per-page-archiver mess...I'm working
on a draft of a "Three-point Plan for Patent Reform." It's now at
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/patent-reform-draft/ but as soon as it's in
decent shape I'll get it on the Linux Journal site, get some big cheeses
to sign it, and so on...until they hang Bruce Lehman for Contributory
Bogus Patent-Mongering. (Basically it's the points I originally rattled
off to Larry Augustin as the agenda with which we should approach Anna
Eshoo (the Rep. from Silicon Valley) and later suggested to Tim Godici
from Ogilvy, the ad agency person at the casting call.)

As a fashion model for IBM, I am not just a piece of meat! I'd rather go
naked than wear fur...oops, wrong slogan...I'd rather go naked than wear
software patents! That three-point plan for Patent Reform again...

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/patent-reform-draft/

$ telnet toad.com smtp
Trying 140.174.2.1...
Connected to 140.174.2.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 toad.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.7.5/8.7.3; Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:41:03 -0800 (PST)
MAIL From: dmarti@zgp.org
250 dmarti@zgp.org... Sender ok
RCPT To: dmarti@zgp.org
250 Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
This is a collector's item!  Mail relayed from  John Gilmore's server!
.
250 WAA06155 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 toad.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.