[linux-elitists] [susette@blackwellsf.com: SEEKING LINUX USERS FOR DOCUMENTARY STYLE PHOTO SHOOT IN SF]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Mar 19 12:33:14 PST 2001

begin  Mr. Bad quotation of Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 12:08:42PM -0800:

>     DM> So, if you get a call from them to show up for some photo
>     DM> shoot, please don't give them your face for nothing. They're
>     DM> looking for ways to spend money and get ink, and you can help
>     DM> them do that.
>
> This information would be very useful in flyer format for, say, LUG
> meetings or if they have another cattle call. It'd probably be a good
> idea to make some announcements to local and nation-wide user groups,
> too.

I have a scheduled conference call with both IBM and Ogilvy tomorrow,
and I'm fully confident that IBM will act in its own and the community's
best interests where software patents and DRM are concerned. (and you
can quote me on that)

Ogilvy isn't about to work with a client that won't respond to Ogilvy's
reasonable requests for information and actions -- we can take advantage
of the "executives will listen to stuff from their ad agency that they
won't listen to from their customers and employees" factor.

How does Prof. Lessig feel about software patents, Seth asks.
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2000/0714/fin18.htm

"If patenting software will induce more innovation in software
development, then let proponents demonstrate it, through careful and
convincing economic evidence. But until they do, Europe should wait.
Legislation needs a better reason than that lawyers like it, and that
America does it."

(Seth is an ideal person to come to any patent meeting, a master of
License Chess, and although Not a Lawyer(tm), should be issued an
official License to Practice Being Seth.)