[linux-elitists] [susette@blackwellsf.com: SEEKING LINUX USERS FOR DOCUMENTARY STYLE PHOTO SHOOT IN SF]

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Mon Mar 19 11:40:32 PST 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Don Marti wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 07:47:33AM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>
> > Don's top three were software patents, software patents, and DRM
> > initiatives.
>
> Did I say software patents twice?  Oh well.
>
> > I suggested that the availability of specs for hardware is still an
> > issue, although IBM has been much better about this than some other
> > vendors.  Still, it's worth paying attention to, for example with a
> > policy (if none exists) to ensure that open source drivers for all of
> > IBM's mass-market hardware can be developed.
>
> 3D is going to be a problem, a big problem, but the Winmodems on the
> newer ThinkPads now have an open-source driver.
>
> > First I thought that this campaign was just going to be about stirring
> > up interest in free software outside the Linux community; then it
> > turned out that IBM was interested in showing off its own commitment
> > to Linux, too.  Given that, Don is right to suggest that addressing
> > substantive issues of community concern is important.
>
> Well, you can't get people outside the community interested in it by
> just saying "Here are a bunch of people with long beards whose computers
> don't crash much." You have to show them something to put it in context.
> Otherwise it's just Unisys monitor-head people without the monitor
> heads. To draw anyone's attention, especially if the reader is _not_
> already a free software freak, they'll have to explain somehow _why_
> these people are doing what they're doing, and why customers should do
> it too.

TV ad:

Voice over, or Commandante Sisko explaining: "Here are a bunch of people
with long beards whose computers don't crash much."

then many pictures of people with long beards and computers not crashing
much.  Including Don Marti and Mae Ling Mak, running Squeak and a free
Lisp OS.

> After all, we're not offering outsiders a personality test and only
> selling them the secrets of X--u when they're inside -- the inside is
> the appealing part.
>
> What would David Ogilvy do?
>
> --
> Don Marti              "I've never sent or received a GIF in my life."

I simply tell them the secrets of Xenu.  But only after I am given one
dollar American, or the equivalent in gold, thus keeping the Rule.

oo--JS.