[linux-elitists] [susette@blackwellsf.com: SEEKING LINUX USERS FOR DOCUMENTARY STYLE PHOTO SHOOT IN SF]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Mar 19 10:04:53 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 07:47:33AM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> Don's top three were software patents, software patents, and DRM
> initiatives.

Did I say software patents twice?  Oh well.

> I suggested that the availability of specs for hardware is still an
> issue, although IBM has been much better about this than some other
> vendors.  Still, it's worth paying attention to, for example with a
> policy (if none exists) to ensure that open source drivers for all of
> IBM's mass-market hardware can be developed.

3D is going to be a problem, a big problem, but the Winmodems on the
newer ThinkPads now have an open-source driver.

> First I thought that this campaign was just going to be about stirring
> up interest in free software outside the Linux community; then it
> turned out that IBM was interested in showing off its own commitment
> to Linux, too.  Given that, Don is right to suggest that addressing
> substantive issues of community concern is important.

Well, you can't get people outside the community interested in it by
just saying "Here are a bunch of people with long beards whose computers
don't crash much." You have to show them something to put it in context.
Otherwise it's just Unisys monitor-head people without the monitor
heads. To draw anyone's attention, especially if the reader is _not_
already a free software freak, they'll have to explain somehow _why_
these people are doing what they're doing, and why customers should do
it too.

After all, we're not offering outsiders a personality test and only
selling them the secrets of X--u when they're inside -- the inside is
the appealing part.

What would David Ogilvy do?