[linux-elitists] [susette@blackwellsf.com: SEEKING LINUX USERS FOR DOCUMENTARY STYLE PHOTO SHOOT IN SF]

Tabinda N. Khan tabindak@best.com
Mon Mar 19 00:51:53 PST 2001

I'm really glad I showed up for this today, even if I only came to see what
was going on and not to sign up myself.

First, it was cool because it was a beautiful day and there was this random
Linux community reunion happening on the sidewalk. I saw Seth, Mae Ling, Mike,
Sam, and some other people I hadn't seen in awhile. Met some new people too.

The basic procedure involved filling out a short form, having two instant
photos taken, and then having a short interview. Don went in for his interview
and was talking to these casting people for the longest time. Seth and I were
beginning to wonder, as everytime we looked inside, Don was standing instead
of sitting. Seth guessed he was being emphatic about something, which is of
course, not surprising.

Finally, Don came outside with the producer, and there was an extended
discussion about how IBM should not just co-opt the Linux community but show
some actual commitment by addressing the software patent issue. The producer
was pretty naive (to put it mildly) about what it would take to have IBM release patents,
but still it was a good thing to have the producer thinking in terms of
forming a campaign which would not completely alienate the community and would
give some credit where credit is due.  The producer is going to put Don (and maybe Seth
and Sam?) in touch with some people at IBM so they can give them clueful
advice on issues IBM can address in order to gain some credibility in the
community.

I don't know how this will all turn out, but one thing is for sure--we won't
know soon. And the photo shoot is next week. I asked Don, if he is selected to
be in the ad, how he would feel about agreeing to be in the ad if we can't
really tell what IBM's commitment level is. It could be a bad situation--IBM
not really listening, but photos all over the place, implying an endorsement
from the community. A potential fuck up. Don said that while he sees the risk,
he thinks it's worth it because we can get some ears at IBM.

I'm not totally convinced, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Don. So we'll see.
I think IBM gets the community thing (hence the documentary), but I'm not sure
they get the patent thing. Gee, I wonder why?

Tabinda

Quoting Seth David Schoen: