[linux-elitists] Fwd: Prime Curios licensing terms

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Sat Mar 17 14:02:14 PST 2001

----- Forwarded message from Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> -----

From: Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:49:48 -0800
To: sci-tchr@3wave.com, caldwell@utm.edu
Subject: Prime Curios licensing terms

Hello,

Your website states:

All rights are reserved. No part of the Prime Curios! (excluding
individual contributions and works derived solely from those
contributions, for which rights are reserved by the individual authors)
may be reprinted, reproduced, stored, or utilized in any form, by any
electronic, mechanical, or other means, now known or hereafter invented,
including printing, photocopying, saving on disk, broadcasting or
recording, or in any information storage or retrieval system, other than
for purposes of fair use, without written permission from a Managing
Editor.

I am not a lawyer, but I would strongly caution against using these
terms in connection with
http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/curios/48565...29443.html. The code
that is encoded within that prime number is licensed under the GPL,
which may cause some licensing issues. Personally I think you should
put a disclaimer on that page saying that the prime's contents are
licensed under the GPL.

That brings up an interesting issue... can one license a prime? ;-)