[linux-elitists] IPv6 in mobile mesh routing

Wed Mar 14 01:26:35 PST 2001

I've been thinking about setting up a local wireless grassroute network
node, using 802.11 and IPv6 (I presume it already comes with IPsec built
in). Would you recommed using Linux or a *BSD derivate (which?).

I'm thinking about using WGS84 GPS latitude/longitude/altitude coordinates
(expanded/padded to 32 bit each) to initialize the lowest three longwords
of an IPv6 address (reserving upper 32 bits for later use). If my back of
the envelope is right, this gives me about 1 address/cm^2 resolution at
Earth surface. I was thinking using several 802.11 cards, one
omidirectional antenna, several highly directional ones of roughly this
type: http://205.159.169.11/reference/antennas/2ghz_helical/
(I guess one has to choose a canonical chirality).

Is there any hidden structure within the IPv6 address space which will
prevent me from doing that?

Do you see why this can't be combined with MITRE's MobileMesh?
http://www.mitre.org/tech_transfer/mobilemesh/