[linux-elitists] RFC 2015 (MIME and PGP) -- RFC status?

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Mon Mar 12 17:37:58 PST 2001

Mr . Bad writes:

>     RM> A lot of people think you can sprinkle holy crypto-pee over
>     RM> keys and make them magically self-authenticate using
>     RM> "certificates", or grab them off Web pages[1], or make them
>     RM> spring forth like Athena from the head of Zeus using DNSSEC.
>
> Still not following you here. You can grab my personal key from here:
>
>         http://evan.prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us/gpgkey.asc
>
> ...and verify the signatures on it. It's a Web-of-Trust thing versus a
> centralized certificate authority, but the idea is pretty much the
> same.
>
> Is your point that, just because I got your key from your Web page,
> there's no way I can be sure it's you? That's absolutely true. Hell,
> there are so many Moriarties between me and linuxmafia.com it makes my
> head spin.

Some people are using crypto even with people they don't know and
then figuring that their communications are secure and the people
are authenticated -- absent something like the web of trust.

> DNSSEC I don't recognize. What's that?

http://www.toad.com/dnssec/

... merging CAish stuff with nameservice.