[linux-elitists] RFC 2015 (MIME and PGP) -- RFC status?

Mon Mar 12 14:55:27 PST 2001

As some of you may have noticed, I make a policy of signing virtually
all my email.  Occasionally I hear from others about this -- many mailers
don't support GPG MIME attachments, some email programs (notably
LISTSERV) munge MIME-encoded PGP content.

The following came to me in a recent exchange with a software developer.
I'm interested in feedback from this crowd.

    I understand  your frustration, but  please note  that RFC2015 is
    only a proposed standard. This is the first step on the standard
    track, so it is not  even close  to becoming  an actual  standard.
    It  may in  fact never become a standard and we do not consider the
    "Translate= Yes" behaviour a "bug." See RFC2026  for more
    information, and  specifically section 4.1.1 on proposed standards:

	"Implementors should treat Proposed Standards as immature
	specifications.  It is desirable to implement them in order to
	gain experience and to validate, test, and clarify the
	specification.  However, since the content of Proposed Standards
	may be changed if problems are found or better solutions are
	identified, deploying implementations of such standards into a
	disruption-sensitive environment is not recommended."

So, is RFC 2015 a "proposed standard"?  It's listed as "Standards
Track", but appears to be largely accepted, and has been stable for six
years.  RFC 2500 (Internet Official Protocol Standards,
http://www.landfield.com/rfcs/rfc2500.html) lists a large number of
similarly classed RFCs.  Any among the group which are significantly
largely accepted despite their "draft" status?

Onward in my quest for moral technological superiority.