[linux-elitists] Gisle Aas, local events

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Mar 8 23:04:00 PST 2001

> Here are some interesting Bay Area events coming up (yes, this is all
> based on the blue sheet I handed out at SVLUG last night.)
>
> Saturday, March 10th, 10am: IBM spies will be be infiltrating the CABAL
> installfest at the Cow Palace to find out what's on Linux users' minds.
> Found out about this when I got a phone call from some big cheese New
> York marketing consultant working for IBM trying to find out how to make
> nice with Linux freaks. Naturally she got about a half hour of
>
>   "Copy restricted hard drives? And you think we'll like you because you
>   build a damn penguin billboard? Are you mad?"
>
> Anyway, go to CABAL and let the IBM people know you're not
> just in it for the stable kernel...it's all about FREEDOM.
> http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/
>
> Doc somehow took seriously the fact that he got flamed on the Linux
> Today comment board for his "If you're so Linux why do you use Flash"
> thing about IBM on the LJ site. Doc isn't exactly the right person to
> be doing any kind of more-Linux-than-thou boasting at all (the LJ site
> _does_ still have GIFs on it), but the flamers missed the point -- Doc
> understands corporate bullshit, having been in that business, and the
> lack of value thereof, especially in this situation. Did I say go to
> CABAL Saturday? Go to CABAL.

Sorry I have daytime commitments south and can't go.  It sounds like
more than the usual amount of fun.  And it's always fun!

But while you're flaming them for their choice of evil proprietary doc
formats... at least flash has a linux reader... tell them where to stick
their "encrypted PDFs" for their spec sheets, ok?

I did.  I called their web staff and forced their tech support (who I
got transferred to after core dumping their salesfolk) to file it as a bug.
The point of having specs of their website is *NOT* to keep it super secret.
It's so people can say oooooooo aaaaaaaaaah and buy it.  So making it an
encrypted PDF instead a regular one is even more brain damaged than making
it a PDF instead of a real web page.

While you're at it, if you're feeling nice you can tell them to get ahead
of the game by giving us specs of the kind we can really use.  Not

	* 56k v.90 modem
	* Soundblaster compatible high fidelity sound

but

	* miniPC slot, select 1 option:
	  - 56k v.90 modem: Realtek nnNnnn (not a softmodem)
	  - Orinoco nnNnnX wireless ethernet
	* Soundblaster compatible high fidelity sound: CS4281

etc.  It doesn't have to be that hard, and that way they only have to chase
it down once, and post it, instead of have lots of IT and nerdy types make
their sales guys scratch their heads and have everybody feel like IBM can't
give good pre-sales support.

* Heather * The number of arguments is unimportant unless some of them
            are correct.  -- Ralph Hartley