[linux-elitists] /usr/games/fortune is evil

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Mar 8 08:56:02 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 10:23:56AM +0100, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> That should be the problem of the person, not the package.
> Once you got the PC creep, you usually fall down the slippery
> slope and land in the lowest common denominator pit. Ugh.

An Old Un*x Guru once told me the story of a marketing-driven
sanitization of the fortune file that shipped with his company's Un*x.

It was left with one fortune -- a recipe.

Someone needs to explain to these kids the advantages of online
pseudonymity. We had handles on BBSs for a reason.

But even in person, if the current standards of "you get suspended
for talking about violence" had been applied to me and my
Anarchist-Cookbook-reading, blow-shit-up-story-writing, obnoxious Nerd
Table friends, we never would have finished high school.

But who needs to finish high school? The only reason to do that is
to get into a university, and we already agreed universities suck:
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/linux-elitists/20000829103513.A23528@zgp.org.html