[linux-elitists] /usr/games/fortune is evil

Thu Mar 8 00:33:20 PST 2001

on Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 11:52:50PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:45:18PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > OTOH, a tiny little voice inside me says that this is
> > sufficient reaosn to move that quote to the fortunes-off package.
>
> I was planning on filing a bug over that until I looked up the quote
> and found that it had context and an attribution. If presented in the
> form that the school saw it (first line only), it would be pretty
> clearly offensive by Debian's own fortune-minipolicy.
>
> I'm not planning to file any bugs since clearly Debian is not at fault
> in this case. With the attribution, the quote is still pushing it but
> is not anything too offensive for a normal person to handle.

OTOH, tonight's SFGate carries a story of an airline flight which was
returned to airport, and passenger removed therefrom, because his
admonition to a fellow passenger was misinterpreted as a threat against
the airplane:

    "The man finished his call, but the woman continued talking,''
    Wilson said. "So he told her something like 'You really should put
    that phone away, it could bring the plane down.' '' The woman
    reportedly found a flight attendant shortly afterward and said that
    the man had threatened to bring the plane down.

    The flight returned immediately to the airport, and San Francisco
    police were called to remove the man from the plane.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2001/03/07/sfo.DTL

I really don't know how to best address this.  I'd say the airline, the
female passenger, and the school administrator(s) in question bear some
responsibility for failing to sufficiently verify a possible threat,
particularly when verification was immediately and trivially available.

There are some problems to which technical solutions simply aren't
available.