[linux-elitists] ICANN frenzy!

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Mon Mar 5 16:05:12 PST 2001

I guess in general, I think that DNS is a real mess and I know this is
an unpopular opinion held by extremely few people but I would like to
see the domain system contract.

If I were the ICANN absolute dictator. Here is what I would do:

I would make it so that a company could get exactly 1 dot com address
and then everything else was a subdomain. Within their domain, they
could do anything that they wanted. Think about what this would do:

1) The number of domains would contract to a comparitively small
number.
2) Trademarks would be represented under the domain of the corporate
owner and companies wouldn't have the right to demand trademark.com
just because they own trademark.
3) The root name servers would get a lot less work.
4) We could easily see which companies have different virtual
presences.
5) Their would be room in the DNS for good names.
6) It would make blocking by domain name much easier. Spammers, the
like would be much easier to block.
7) People would slowly be trained not to associate DNS name with
idenity.

I wouldn't let individuals own dot com addresses. However, single
individuals who have a fictional entity registered under which they
are doing business then they could own a .com.

I think that I would keep the country TLD's exactly the way that they
are.

.org's would have to be registered organizations. This is not
necessarily a tax status but a .org would have to have a charter and
bylaws.

.net would be ISP's and backbone providers.

I would also add one TLD, .ind. This would be for individuals and it
would have special rules. Every human being, would be entitled to one
free domain under .ind with their name and a something that makes them
unique. For example I might be:

foof.alfred.benjamin.woodard.ind

Where "foof" is some string that makes me unique amongst the whole
world of "alfred.benjamin.woodard.ind". That
foof.alfred.benjamin.woodard domain would be my birthright, my
personal property for all time and I would be able to subdomain it and
do whatever I want with it for my whole life.

-ben

P.S. Don if you are perverse enough to want to quote me, go ahead.