[linux-elitists] ICANN frenzy!

Joakim Ziegler joakim@ximian.com
Mon Mar 5 19:21:03 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:20:03PM -0800, Heather wrote:

>>> Well, according to somebody I just talked to at ICANN, there is no
>>> plan at all to take away .org domains from unincorporated non-profit
>>> organizations.

>>> "Move along, people, nothing to see here."

> unincorporated non profit organizations?  If they're not incorporated how
> can the stormtroopers tell dipsquat about it (without invading privacy)?

Not my words, but see below.

>> I think it might be a good idea for ICANN to prevent commercial, for-profit
>> entities from registering .org domains in the future (and perhaps evicting
>> them from .org domains over a 5 year period, for instance).

> Which pigeonhole do you delude yourself into thinking I fit in?

Well, are you a commercial, for-profit entity (other than in the way that
everyone who holds a job to support him/herself is)? No? Well, then.

It should be pretty easy to determine that someone is *not* a commercial,
for-profit entity, without any privacy invasion. I believe even the US, with
it's morbid fear of registration, has a registry of corporations and
companies. After all, going into this register is a part of the process of
incorporation.

If you're not in this register, you're free to register a .org. Or maybe some
other, new gTLD. The point is, it would be good to have a gTLD where
companies were specifically prevented from registering domains.

>> It would
>> definitely enlarge the namespace. A policy saying .org domains can't infringe
>> your trademark because it's a non-profit would also help a lot.

> I prefer to hold to the point that trademark defenses are rather different
> than internet space, and if someone is deliberately fomenting confusion
> (attacking your trademark directly - Zero Micro Software would have skated
> right over that line if they were selling copies of Windows OEM kits -
> otherwise they *should* have been protected as parody, a recognized art form
> but oh well) rather than bumping into the name and using it for other things
> in other contexts (Starshine Tub And Tile?  Nope, that's not me.  I couldn't
> find em in a search engine either.  They probably don't even *have* a website)

You didn't complete this sentence (got lost in the parentheses?). If someone
is deliberatly fomenting confusion, rather than bumping into the name and
using it for other things in other contexts, then what?

--
Joakim Ziegler - Ximian web monkey - joakim@ximian.com - Radagast@IRC
  FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer