[linux-elitists] ICANN frenzy!

Heather star@starshine.org
Mon Mar 5 16:20:03 PST 2001

> >> (I know I don't want to get non-profit status to keep _my_ .org...)
>
> > Well, according to somebody I just talked to at ICANN, there is no
> > plan at all to take away .org domains from unincorporated non-profit
> > organizations.
>
> > "Move along, people, nothing to see here."

unincorporated non profit organizations?  If they're not incorporated how
can the stormtroopers tell dipsquat about it (without invading privacy)?

> I think it might be a good idea for ICANN to prevent commercial, for-profit
> entities from registering .org domains in the future (and perhaps evicting
> them from .org domains over a 5 year period, for instance).

Which pigeonhole do you delude yourself into thinking I fit in?

> It would
> definitely enlarge the namespace. A policy saying .org domains can't infringe
> your trademark because it's a non-profit would also help a lot.

I prefer to hold to the point that trademark defenses are rather different
than internet space, and if someone is deliberately fomenting confusion
(attacking your trademark directly - Zero Micro Software would have skated
right over that line if they were selling copies of Windows OEM kits -
otherwise they *should* have been protected as parody, a recognized art form
but oh well) rather than bumping into the name and using it for other things
in other contexts (Starshine Tub And Tile?  Nope, that's not me.  I couldn't
find em in a search engine either.  They probably don't even *have* a website)

> But I'm probably hoping for too much.

The world does not fall into neat little piles and hoping can't make it so.

* Heather * Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
            not tried it.  -- Donald Knuth