[linux-elitists] ICANN, .ORG and RFCs

Joakim Ziegler joakim@ximian.com
Mon Mar 5 15:50:52 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 10:34:55PM -0000, ron@vnetworx.net wrote:

> The RFCs that (I'm aware of that) pertain to .ORG are RFC-920 and
> RFC-1591. Neither gives ICANN any basis for what they're proposing.

> If there's something I've missed, I'm sure someone here will beat
> me about the head with it.

> I think it's counter-productive to start taking away domains in .ORG
> when they've allowed NSI to practically frighten everyone into buying
> their base name in .COM, .NET, and .ORG for so long.

> I'd rather see a new .NPO (Non-Profit Organization) domain, tightly
> controlled for this specific purpose, if indeed there's any good reason
> non-profits should have a TLD of their own at all. (why should they?)

If there's going to be *any* point to the adding of a very limited number of
new gTLDs like the ICANN is advocating, they need to have policies on who can
register them and for what purpose. If there are no such policies, it's
pointless; most large corporations will just register duplicates of their
.com in all the others, and the only effect would be to line the pockets of
the registrars. With no guidelines, adding 10 new gTLDs would perhaps add 10%
to the global namespace.

Some of the new gTLDs do have policies, I understand (like .coop, I believe,
and some domain for doctors or licensed professionals or whatever), and
that's a good thing. A non-profit organization gTLD would probably be a good
idea too. My gut feeling tells me there should be some sort of gTLD more
fitting for free software projects than .org, too, but I can't really think
of what it should be called, or what the criteria should be. It's hard to
determine what's a group of people doing something together, and what's, for
instance, a front for a corporation.

Now, this isn't to say that I think adding very few gTLDs is a good idea, but
if that's the way they're going to go, then guidelines are needed, or it's
going to be pointless.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Ximian web monkey - joakim@ximian.com - Radagast@IRC
  FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer