[linux-elitists] ICANN, .ORG and RFCs

ron@vnetworx.net ron@vnetworx.net
Mon Mar 5 14:34:55 PST 2001

Sorry to start a new thread, I'm not at my usual mailer...

The RFCs that (I'm aware of that) pertain to .ORG are RFC-920 and
RFC-1591. Neither gives ICANN any basis for what they're proposing.

If there's something I've missed, I'm sure someone here will beat
me about the head with it.

I think it's counter-productive to start taking away domains in .ORG
when they've allowed NSI to practically frighten everyone into buying
their base name in .COM, .NET, and .ORG for so long.

I'd rather see a new .NPO (Non-Profit Organization) domain, tightly
controlled for this specific purpose, if indeed there's any good reason
non-profits should have a TLD of their own at all. (why should they?)

In any case, .ORG was never intended for non-profits, that's just one
of the many Internet legends that isn't true. I used to believe it
myself. Right up until last week when I started reading the RFCs.
Reading the RFCs often shows that what "everyone believes" simply
isn't true, and this is a good example of that. You would think
ICANN would take the time to read the rules before they try and
change them....

See: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1591.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc920.html

Ron