[linux-elitists] ICANN frenzy!

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Mar 5 13:38:37 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:35:55PM -0500, Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:

> I really think it is perfectly legitamate for non-profits to
> be given the .org domain.  What would not be apropriate would be
> removing people from domains retroactively.

The problem is the new "global registry" for .org -- if it's established
according to the Usual ICANN Process, it will be as non-responsive to
the needs of small sites as possible.  And it will be perfectly free
to define "non-profit" as "anything registered as a non-profit with the
IRS or local equivalent."