[linux-elitists] ICANN frenzy!

Joakim Ziegler joakim@ximian.com
Mon Mar 5 13:26:54 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 12:16:40PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 12:00:31PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:

>> (I know I don't want to get non-profit status to keep _my_ .org...)

> Well, according to somebody I just talked to at ICANN, there is no
> plan at all to take away .org domains from unincorporated non-profit
> organizations.

> "Move along, people, nothing to see here."

I think it might be a good idea for ICANN to prevent commercial, for-profit
entities from registering .org domains in the future (and perhaps evicting
them from .org domains over a 5 year period, for instance). It would
definitely enlarge the namespace. A policy saying .org domains can't infringe
your trademark because it's a non-profit would also help a lot.

But I'm probably hoping for too much.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Ximian web monkey - joakim@ximian.com - Radagast@IRC
  FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer