[linux-elitists] ICANN frenzy!

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Mar 5 12:00:31 PST 2001

DNS is a consensus reality, but some people's consensus reality is more
fucked up than others. I know that some of you on this list are ICANN
members, and some (all?) of you have .org domains. What do you all think
about this?  If it's ok to quote you in LJ please let me know.

(I know I don't want to get non-profit status to keep _my_ .org...)

http://www.icann.org/melbourne/proposed-verisign-agreements-topic.htm

----- Forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> -----

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:07:17 -0500
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: FC: Why are ICANN-crats talking about evicting .org owners?
To: politech@politechbot.com
Cc: comments@icann.org

This is very dangerous terrain for ICANN to enter. If ICANN forcibly evicts
owners of dot-org domains, any remaining goodwill it has in the Internet
community will evaporate. It -- and perhaps the Commerce Department -- will
also be exposed to litigation, all for a proposal with uncertain benefits,
and one that is being floated approximately five years too late.

This in reference to:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01774.html
>Icann indicated that it wants "org" Web addresses reserved only for
>nonprofit organizations "after some appropriate transition period," a
>restriction that hasn't been enforced in recent years. Details haven't been
>worked out, though one Icann official suggested that current "org" Web sites
>may be allowed to continue regardless of their affiliation with nonprofits.

Also, Michael Froomkin emails me noting that icannwatch.org has been
relaunched.

-Declan