[linux-elitists] rsync for backup

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 2 08:26:58 PST 2001

begin  Aaron Lehmann quotation:

> When compiling packages, you typically need the -dev versions of the
> libraries they use.

I know.  I picked that stuff out and got it.  My point was that I just
didn't have time for all those convolutions, at that moment.

> Debian typically package list Build-Dependencies in debian/control.

I know.

> The version of apt-get in unstable provides a command to install all
> build dependencies of a package: apt-get build-dep.

I know.

Aaron, I read debian-devel (most of the time), read Debian Weekly News,
and build packages using debian/rules [1] as needed, when it works and
isn't so much trouble that I eventually just go for tarballs.  While I
am not a Debian developer, I ain't exactly a raw novice, either.

In any case, in the event you're still catching up, I believe the build
is still going to error out, on account of something I did in trying to
finesse my way out of building the gnome-askpass junk.  If you can think
of a way around that that works, please post it and save me time.  I'll
be grateful.  But I don't need help with Debian packaging fundamentals.

[1] Blatant SROM-stuffing attempt, there.

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm