[linux-elitists] rsync for backup

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Mar 1 17:33:14 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:59:59AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> You know, when I recently had to rebuild uncle-enzo.linuxmafia.com,
> because of problems with /dev/sdb, I did my backups immediately before
> using rsync (v. 2.4.6) -- but re-encountered the classic rsync / ssh
> select() deadlock with OpenSSH v. 1.2.3 (on both hosts).

Compiled from the openssh.com source, or the Debian package? The
changelog for openssh itself doesn't mention the rsync lockup, but in
the changelog for the Debian package, Philip Hands says he fixed
it in 1:1.2.2-1 on 9 Feb 2000.

I've been doing some big rsyncs over ssh since last fall and haven't
seen the lockup.