[linux-elitists] rsync for backup

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Thu Mar 1 14:44:32 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:16:34AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> I'm using rsync to back up my stuff but the script I have is not exactly
> a thing of beauty. Does anyone have an rsync backup script that you run
> from cron and that you're willing to share?

I wrote and use the attached (so sue me) script on a few machines. It's
highly debian-specific and backs up dpkg's list of installed packages.
Some beta testing is what it needs before it can get a real release.
I'd like to upload it to sid when someone can confirm that it actually
works. It's got a nifty configuration interface which prompts for a few
questions and is capable of setting up a client or server. It can even
add a cron job. Check it out!

Perhaps it should be debconfized.

[ oops, it's not attached. the script is on my workstation and the
maintainer seems to have fucked up the unstable ssh package. aargh.
i'll send it when I get home. that even gives you guys a few hours to
complain that you don't want a 15k attachment coming to the list.