[linux-elitists] rsync for backup

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 1 10:59:59 PST 2001

begin  Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:

> I'm using rsync to back up my stuff but the script I have is not
> exactly a thing of beauty. Does anyone have an rsync backup script
> that you run from cron and that you're willing to share?

Not an answer to your question, but related:

You know, when I recently had to rebuild uncle-enzo.linuxmafia.com,
because of problems with /dev/sdb, I did my backups immediately before
using rsync (v. 2.4.6) -- but re-encountered the classic rsync / ssh
select() deadlock with OpenSSH v. 1.2.3 (on both hosts).

I believe I was using secsh protocol v. 1.5.  I'm not sure which cipher:
probably 3DES or Blowfish.

I'm referring to the problem discussed previously on this mailing list,
and detailed here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-05/msg00248.html
http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2000-August/000789.html
http://www.roads.lut.ac.uk/lists/psst/2000/02/0086.html

Given the press of time, I fell back onto rsh, to complete the backup.

Some list members may find this VA Linux knowledgebase article handy,
for casual backups:

http://wwwsc13.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/varesearch/solution?11=010228-0000&130=0983415877&14=&2715=&15=&2716=&57=search&58=&2900=kosYU0LgBW&25=6&3=rsync

--
Cheers,             We write precisely            We say exactly
Rick Moen           Since such is our habit in    How to do a thing or how