[linux-elitists] California Copyleft Research Initiative of 2001

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Sat Jun 30 18:50:53 PDT 2001

OK, so, I've been thinking that it'd be a good idea to get the drop on
Microsoft if and when they propose to stop GPL'd output of
publicly-funded research.

The idea is to draft a California Copyleft Research Initiative of
2001, which requires ALL state-funded research be put under some
sort of copyleft license to preserve its freedom. The reasons are
apparent to anyone on this list, but could easily be enumerated:

        * it's only fair that taxpayer-funded research be made openly
          available to all individuals and businesses

        * research must be kept open, and not slightly modified and
          locked up

The reason to do an initiative rather than, say, lobby legislators, is
that a grass-roots movement and a petition drive could actually garner
media attention and support of the public. Legislators would
completely ignore a bunch of wild-haired geeks without deep pockets.

It'd be cool to do it on a nationwide level, but sadly our federal
government doesn't have a direct democratic mechanism like initiatives
and propositions.

It'd be great to get an act like this actually passed. However, the
most important thing is to identify "copyleft" with "fair", "open" and
"good" to the public eye. I think if we get this spread out to LUGs in
CA and try to encourage people to do public petition drives (even for
a couple of days), we could get great visibility and media attention.

That way, when a proposal comes out of Certain Quarters to stop
copylefted research, it would sound like the evil machinations it
really is.

So anyways: anyone know a lawyer who could draft an initiative on
short notice (in the next week)?

~Mr. Bad