[linux-elitists] [webmaster@immaterial.net: Link update request]

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Fri Jun 29 23:21:25 PDT 2001

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:22:21AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > Cisco offers a proprietary binary-only kernel module for Linux
>
> Sounds less secure than telnet to me!

security = enforcement of policy

policy = { free software
		has applied at least a flyswatter to their known bugs
			has some useful purpose on my system }

Hmm, well, if it's proprietary you just can't tell about item 2, even
if they were to claim the item is "free as in t-shirts".  Luckily I
don't have requirement 3 pushing me into it, so nope, it doesn't fit
*my* security model.

In fact telnetd is more likely to, except that none of my contacts who
would need to get in lack some means of ssh.  So it's not *useful* right
now.  I suppose I could run sshd on the telnet port, if I thought I was
going somewhere that would be a firewalling problem.  Or even on port
80;  altho I do have a staging server up, it doesn't show anything
fascinating for default access attempts  ;P

* Heather * To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.
		-- Henry David Thoreau, "Where I Live"