[linux-elitists] [webmaster@immaterial.net: Link update request]

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Fri Jun 29 22:46:43 PDT 2001

> begin  Bulent Murtezaoglu quotation of Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 01:38:52PM -0400:
>
> > If he'd redirected and let you know he was doing it, would you still
> > have minded?
>
> No, if I link to a site, the webmaster of that site is perfectly
> justified in sending me mail.  What I think is silly is asking me
> to go in and modify archives.  What if the archived message were
> GPG-signed?  And what's even sillier is that if you can write a
> script to bug your site's referers to change their links, and get
> the link right in the mail, you can write a 404 handler to recognize
> old URL conventions from your site and redirect to the new location.

That should be "302: Redirect" or "410: Gone."  As in a. it's been moved
and we even know where to, or b. we deleted that crap, stop bookmarking it.
Get it right...

404 should go to "you're lost or can't spell, here's a search engine
and a link to the top page" kind of stuff.  IMnaaHO.

Somebody's got the "404 Research Labs" over at plinko.net.  A very fun
read, and points to lots of, ahem, more creative 404s.

Anyways anybody who expects you to retroactively change the past history
of the internet to fix all their stupid sigblock references to the old
address just obviously has got too much time on his/her/its hands, because
they seemz to be deluded that you have enough free time for mind numbing
tweaking of stupid little grepl scripts to do that for them.  If their
own customers/past contacts are important enough, they'll put up a redirect.
If they're not, then it sure isn't important enough for YOU to mess with
either.  'Nuff said.

> Thanks for posting your experience getting FreeS/WAN to talk to
> the proprietary VPN.  Now all we need is for more distributions to
> include FreeS/WAN.

The LNX-BBC includes FreeS/WAN... :)

* Heather * "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what,
             then, is an empty desk a sign?" -- Albert Einstein.