[linux-elitists] [webmaster@immaterial.net: Link update request]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Jun 29 13:48:21 PDT 2001

begin  Bulent Murtezaoglu quotation of Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 01:38:52PM -0400:

> If he'd redirected and let you know he was doing it, would you still
> have minded?

No, if I link to a site, the webmaster of that site is perfectly
justified in sending me mail.  What I think is silly is asking me
to go in and modify archives.  What if the archived message were
GPG-signed?  And what's even sillier is that if you can write a
script to bug your site's referers to change their links, and get
the link right in the mail, you can write a 404 handler to recognize
old URL conventions from your site and redirect to the new location.

Thanks for posting your experience getting FreeS/WAN to talk to
the proprietary VPN.  Now all we need is for more distributions to
include FreeS/WAN.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti    -- Bruce Schneier, Secrets and Lies, p. 246.
dmarti@zgp.org    Free the Web, burn all GIFs: http://burnallgifs.org/