[linux-elitists] Seen on K5, re shared source and GPL attacks

Fri Jun 29 07:39:45 PDT 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> Actually, I have to assume that from close-up, an event horizon is
> quite a bit brighter than a kettle, due to Hawking radiation.

Hawking is supposed (no one has so far been able to directly detect the
Hawking radiation, only the accretion disk signature, but that very close
to the horizont) to be blackbody. The temperature of the blackbody
radiator depends on event horizont surface. The smaller the hole, the
hotter and the bluer. A very small hole can outshine a nuke, and it will
be mostly hard gamma. A very large hole will be colder than the microwave
background, and thus will be definitely much blacker than a kettle.

> Any astrophysicists out there who can tell me if Hawking radiation
> comes in all 57 flavors, or is it not in the visible range?

Actually, there are people who say that if you drop an object into a hole,
the radiation emitted when the object passes the event horizont must
encode the information contained in that object.

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>