[linux-elitists] M$ again and suggestion

Wil Cooley wcooley@nakedape.cc
Thu Jun 21 22:18:04 PDT 2001

Thus spake Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO:

> > However, as a CYA maneuver, the Redmond Behemoth has added a clause to
> > REQUIRE that you not do such a foolish thing. If you want to build
> > GPL'd software, you have to do it without the MIT. Seems fair, they
> > can restrict it to two little ladies in Rye New York, if they want.
>

> Actual, it is not fair and it's a violation of your civil rights.
>
> Once you legally aquire something, a license can not come in an restrict
> your fair use of this property which you own.
>
> This should be imediately legally chanallenged.
>
> Can someone make a Copy of DeCss with this and release it under the GPL?

Heh.  I have to wonder if this EULA is actually enforcable.  This is
perhaps from left field, but I seem to recall reading in that DuPont
actually tried to prevent the companies producing Teflon(tm) oil
additives from doing so, but were sued and lost for something having
to do with unfair discrimination--there was no good reason they
shouldn't sell Teflon to these companies.  This seems similar to me.

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@nakedape.cc
LNXS: Get 0.2.0-devel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lnxs/

The penalty for laughing in a courtroom is six months in jail; if it
were not for this penalty, the jury would never hear the evidence.
		-- H. L. Mencken