[linux-elitists] HTML search engines

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Mon Jun 18 13:23:34 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 01:06:49PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > > I see _Pigdog Journal_ is using ht://dig, so I take that as a major
> > > point in ht://dig's favor.
> >
> > FWIW, LWN uses htdig, but we're almost certainly going to replace it.  Our
> > users don't like it.  There's a couple of real difficulties, including the
> > lack of good support for multi-word searches, and for search strings with
> > any sort of punctuation.
> >
> > Thus, for example, a search for "linux 2.5" fails horribly.
> >
> > Not that we've had the time to figure out what we would replace it with...
> >
> > jon
>
> LinuxGazette.com uses WebGlimpse - I can ask our sysadmin over there how
> happy he is with it.

One of those fellows here.

Not ecstatic.

Search is slow and the license is sorta fishy.  "Next xx matches"
doesn't work at all, at least with the version we are running.  Maybe
if we got the payware version that would work better.

I've been lurking on this thread, hoping somebody else has found the
Great Open Source Answer to this one.

--
Dan Wilder <dan@ssc.com>