[linux-elitists] HTML search engines

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Mon Jun 18 13:06:49 PDT 2001

> > I see _Pigdog Journal_ is using ht://dig, so I take that as a major
> > point in ht://dig's favor.
>
> FWIW, LWN uses htdig, but we're almost certainly going to replace it.  Our
> users don't like it.  There's a couple of real difficulties, including the
> lack of good support for multi-word searches, and for search strings with
> any sort of punctuation.
>
> Thus, for example, a search for "linux 2.5" fails horribly.
>
> Not that we've had the time to figure out what we would replace it with...
>
> jon

LinuxGazette.com uses WebGlimpse - I can ask our sysadmin over there how
happy he is with it.

The main problem we have is readers who can't figure out that the word
"Search" on the front page leads to a search engine.  Sigh.  Comes with
the territory we staked out.

* Heather * The Answer Gang's Editor Gal