[linux-elitists] HTML search engines

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sun Jun 17 22:17:49 PDT 2001

<quote who="Don Marti">

> The Debian package for ht://dig is well-done, and the indexer runs
> very quickly.  I had search working in half an hour.

SLUG uses ht://dig for our mailing lists, although we're now moving over to
namazu, which the GNOME Project uses.

I highly recommend using namazu2, which is in unstable, or available for
potato apt-get goodness with extra source lines.

In addition to being highly readable, it has a special mode for MHonArc
mailing list archives; the search results from these are very good (see
http://lists.perkypants.org/search?query=table as example output). Note the
summary and Author/Date lines.

Also, search for "table +from:jdub@perkypants.org" to see its very groovy
special modes for mailing list archives. Top stuff.

- Jeff

--
               "Socks for the foot menu!" - Liam Quin (Ankh)