[linux-elitists] Pompous Top 10 List

Choong Ng choong@ssc.com
Fri Jun 15 10:56:27 PDT 2001

> > Two points:
> >
> >  1) Computers are so fast now that you'd hardly notice the difference
> >     except in really high-bandwidth applications.
>
> I use tunneled X sometimes, and believe me - you notice!

Interesting. I've a habit of running the latest Mozilla from one of my
test machines through an SSH tunnel, and I don't notice much degradation
(and that's over 100Mbps Ethernet). I don't think crypto imposes much
overhead unless maybe you're using 3DES with a slow machine on one of the
endpoints. And by the way, I _did_ qualify my point for high-bandwidth
apps.

> Recognize any of these?
>
> 	"Noone will ever use 640 k, much less a megabyte"
>
> 	"There's a total world market for 5, maybe 10 computers"

The first was Gates, I believe, and the second was probably an exec at
IBM or someone like that. Honestly that was before my time. Regardless,
neither of those are statements of the same ilk; I'm saying that current
applications and current hardware allow for the performance impact to be
negligible. As bandwidth grows I expect computing power to continue to
grow and that the communications overhead imposed by crypto will
continue to be a non-issue except in systems that are an endpoint to a
large number of encrypted connections. Hardware accelerators seem to do
fine.

> Established technology tends to persist in the face of new technology.
> 		-- G. Blaauw, one of the designers of System 360

He had a point. Remember the demand for COBOL programmers two years ago?

> Just because *your* computers are fast - even if you own both ends - doesn't
> mean all the hops in between are.

So? They shouldn't be decrypting my traffic anyway.

 -Choong