[linux-elitists] Pompous Top 10 List

Sam Phillips sam@dasbistro.com
Wed Jun 13 20:55:43 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 04:49:39PM -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions wrote:

> On 2001.06.08 15:27:27 -0400 Sam Phillips wrote:
> >
> > >If the machine you are trying to access is behind a VPN'd firewall I'm
> > >sure it helps a lot.
> >

> I'm really at a loss.  I don't know what this means.  I have a Linux
> firewall and I run ssh through to using port rediction to a system
> behind the fireewall.  I printed out a bunch of stuff from Don's post,
> and I'll be studying it over the weekend.  It seems to me that the
> trouble moght just be too many hops for hard drive mounting for
> desktop displays.

Well, imagine if your network was setup something like this:

        +-----+
        | You |
        +--+--+

      +----+-----+
      | Internet |
      +----+-----+

    +------+---------+
    | VPN / Firewall |
    |   doing NAT    |
    +------+---------+

  +--------+---------+
  | Some machine you |
  |  want to ssh to  |

Because the VPN/firewall machine is doing NAT, which, generally uses
private subnet IPs,  you cannot directly access the machine you want to
ssh.  By going through the VPN you can get to the machine, since the VPN
tunnel allows you to be part of the NAT'd network.

--
Sam Phillips <sam@dasbistro.com>                http://www.dasbistro.com
Reno                                                              Nevada