[linux-elitists] Freeing parts of Unix?

Wil Cooley wcooley@nakedape.cc
Wed Jun 13 12:18:01 PDT 2001

Thus spake Aaron Sherman:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:49:32PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>
> > I really wouldn't want to see sh -- judging by experiences with
> > Solaris' sh.
>
> Yeah, I tend to agree. What *would* be very valuable is ripping bash up,
> and creating a lightweight shell for smaller (read single-user and
> embedded) systems.

There's pdksh, which AFAIK is a pretty good clone of the POSIX ksh
(I've read there are some problems, but don't know exactly what they
are).  It uses much less memory, has 90% of the features, and in some
simplistic tests I've done, runs about 2x as fast (I don't remember if
I tried with bash1 or bash2).  Plus, I think it's a lot more familiar
to admins and users used to Solaris, AIX, etc, and they don't have to
modify scripts written for it (provided the other commands are used in
a compatible manner).  That's why I chose it as the default shell for
LNXS, but now I'm finding a number of things (the kernel for example)
that depend on bash, so I guess I'll have to incorporate that now too...
I believe the original ksh93 is now available under and open-source
license, but I haven't tried it out.

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@nakedape.cc
LNXS: Get 0.2.0-devel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lnxs/

It is now quite lawful for a Catholic woman to avoid pregnancy by a resort to
mathematics, though she is still forbidden to resort to physics and chemistry.
		-- H.L. Mencken