[linux-elitists] Freeing parts of Unix?

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Jun 13 11:04:24 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 09:51:14AM -0700, Mr.Bad wrote:

> Even with the kernel... does anyone really think there's some secret
> surprise goodness left in the Unix kernel? Except for some funny
> comments, I can't imagine there's anything there that hasn't been
> picked over, reverse engineered, or generally reconsidered to death by
> Free Software developers.

Hmm... I think looking at the streams stuff and seeing how that might
or might not benefit BSD or Linux would be a good thing. I've heard a
lot of wild-ass claims about how streams speed up aspects of the
kernel that are multi-layer. Of course, if you look at Linux now,
there's things like khttpd, v4l, alsa, etc. which are all very
stratified.

I don't *know* that a streams-like architechture would help, but it
would make an excellent graduate thesis for someone to do the
research....

--
Aaron Sherman
ajs@ajs.com		finger ajskey@b5.ajs.com for GPG info. Fingerprint: