[linux-elitists] Freeing parts of Unix?

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Wed Jun 13 09:51:14 PDT 2001

    AS> What does the UNIX code have that the open source world would
    AS> benefit from? It's not that UNIX wasn't revolutionary in its
    AS> day, but the only parts of UnixWare that I can think of
    AS> wanting to see source for are in the kernel.

Amen to that! I think this whole idea is a great indicator that Unix
has been surpassed by its Free cousins and look-alikes. There really
isn't a Unix tool that doesn't have a _better_ counterpart in GNU.

Even with the kernel... does anyone really think there's some secret
surprise goodness left in the Unix kernel? Except for some funny
comments, I can't imagine there's anything there that hasn't been
picked over, reverse engineered, or generally reconsidered to death by
Free Software developers.

That said, it'd be interesting to get source for some OTHER operating
systems, especially ones that have been abandoned, and ones that are
much DIFFERENT from Unix.

Like, what ever happened to the source code for Pink?  Shouldn't IBM
and Apple (both big Open Source bandwagon riders) be releasing that
stuff?

What about OS/2? Can't imagine it's really much of a cash cow any
more. Mebbe it is, I dunno.

Oh, and, HELL, while we're at it, MacOS?

There's a ton of "friendly" (read: opportunistic, exploitative)
companies that have huge portfolios of abandoned applications. IBM
has, well, everything IBM ever wrote, plus the entire Lotus
portfolio. Imagine all that stuff! Lotus crap going back to the early
80s! There's a wealth of PC knowledge there. And is it Corel that has
the old Borland desktop apps?

~Mr. Bad