[linux-elitists] Freeing parts of Unix?

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Tue Jun 12 15:54:19 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 03:20:31PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> But of course there's always lawyer time involved in relicensing
> old proprietary software, so...  anyone with access to or memories
> of a Unix box -- got any priorities of stuff you want to see free?
> (And don't say "compress".)

Oh wait :)

I've heard some requests for Writer's Workbench. I'd personally love to
see the classic vi (just out of nostalgia - nvi is a fine clone).

We already have a lot of vintage Unix software freely, now.
oawk, cscope, etc. GNU and Berkeley have already taken care of cloning
just about everything. This move would have been much more appreciated
ten or fifteen years ago.