[linux-elitists] Zope? Nope!

Wil Cooley wcooley@nakedape.cc
Fri Jun 8 13:46:27 PDT 2001

Thus spake Don Marti:
> begin Aaron T Porter quotation of Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 01:20:43PM -0700:
>
> > 	In the message dialog, there's a little red flag followed by the
> > text. I think there's a little red flag in the index view too.
>
> So far, the best way to mess with MS-Outlook users is to combine
>
> my_hdr X-Message-Flag: `message-flag`
>
> with the "begin " trick, where message-flag is a script like this:
>
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/warez/message-flag
>
> which generates headers like
>
> ...and of course the message text does appear blocked, because of
> the "block " bug.  Help! says the MS-Outlook user -- my incoming
> mail is being censored!
>
> I had Mutt set up to do this in mail I posted to the pho list,
> and it either sparked off a thoughtful conversation on whether
> or not we can trust proprietary software not to censor speech,
> or made people say I was being a dick.  I forget which.

I was using the 'begin  ' thing for a while, but too many people got
pissed off.  Some of them had semi-legitimate reasons for using it,
like they were forced to by work.  Some of them had lame-ass reasons
like they liked it, but I couldn't give them a good enough reason for
doing what I was doing, except that I wanted to piss off Lookout users.
The problem was, while I might want to piss off Lookout users in general,
I didn't want to piss off the ones I knew in particular.  Life's funny
like that, ain't it?  This seems like a reasonable compromise in that
it's annoying, but it doesn't make the message completely unreadable.

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@nakedape.cc
LNXS: Get 0.2.0-devel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lnxs/

After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations.
		-- H.L. Mencken, on Shakespeare