[linux-elitists] Pompous Top 10 List

Sam Phillips sam@dasbistro.com
Fri Jun 8 12:27:27 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:00:49PM -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions wrote:
> VPN's in my expereince are incredibly slow and I haven't found a
> combination of technologies yet to produce anything that useful outside of
> xterm...and who needs VPN for that.  We have ssh.

If the machine you are trying to access is behind a VPN'd firewall I'm
sure it helps a lot.

> I've been doing a lot of testing with VPN for a client.  PTP though ssh
> rediction and SMB really seems too slow.  VNC of a MS desktop - ditto.
> Have anyone had different expereinces?

Is this through ssh port forwarding, or is this using PPP and ssh to
build a tunnel?

VNC from Windows seems to be slow no matter what you do.

> I want to sell Linux workstations designed around sound and video
> recording.....and video streams - at a fraction of current costs...
>
> Who's in....

I've heard this idea from a few people in the video industry here.  I,
personally, don't have much time to build such a beast, but I'm sure
many people out there are thinking the same thing you just have to tell
the right ones.

--
Sam Phillips <sam@dasbistro.com>                http://www.dasbistro.com
Reno                                                              Nevada