[linux-elitists] Pompous Top 10 List

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Jun 8 06:54:26 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:22:21AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> Rough beasts, slouching towards Usenet to be reborn.

Hmmmm.....

Releasing and releasing in the heightening pyre
The DBA cannot hear the developer;
Things fall apart; the software cannot hold;
Mere chat rooms are loosed upon the world,
The flame-lit tide is loosed and everywhere
The ceremony of civility is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some release is at hand;
Surely the Next Version is at hand.
The Next Version! Harldy are press releases out
When a vast image out of Redmond
Troubles my sight: somewhere in the woods of Washington
A shape with weblog body and the GUI of Word,
And content blank and pitiless as the BSOD,
Is moving its slow marketing, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant end users.
The NDA drops again; but now I know
That heady times of Open Source
Were vexed to nightmare by a slow compile,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Usenet to be reborn?

--
Aaron Sherman
ajs@ajs.com		finger ajskey@b5.ajs.com for GPG info. Fingerprint: