[linux-elitists] Pompous Top 10 List

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Thu Jun 7 13:13:08 PDT 2001

Don Marti writes:

> the Model Rocketry Safety Code
> of Host-based Security

That would be fun to write.

Here's the starting point:

http://www.nar.org/NARmrsc.html

"I will use only network-layer routers in operating networks for the
benefit of other users, unless they have specifically requested
otherwise.  I will not attempt to modify the payload of any packet
from the design originally specified by the user's client software.
I will not interpret users' communications at a higher protocol
level."

"I will discard all packets with an invalid source or destination
address, but I will never discard a packet merely because I do not
understand a protocol it contains."